Manager Communications and Stakeholder Engagement
Position Description: Manager Communications and Stakeholder Engagement
Status: Full Time
Department: Marketing and Communications
Reports to: Director, Marketing and Communications
Organization: West Campus Development Trust
COMPANY BACKGROUND & CULTURE
West Campus Development Trust
West Campus Development Trust (the Trust) is an independent land development organization created by the University of Calgary to lead the planning and development of one of Calgary’s most exciting inner-city redevelopment sites. We were created as an entrepreneurial demonstration for the University of Calgary and continue to build on our reputation as a dynamic partner. The Trust team is leading the master plan development of 200 acres of land into a vibrant, sustainable mixed-use urban community that has a balanced blend of residential housing, a retail main street, office spaces and 40 acres of open space that integrates with the University while harmonizing with the surrounding communities.
The Trust’s financial model provides an innovative approach to real estate development. It is based on a unique public-private development model. The development will optimize the return on the land for the benefit of the University’s academic mission. Our mission is to be a leader in creating amazing places as a trusted developer for the University of Calgary. We’re a benchmark developer that prioritizes thoughtful design, collaboration, inclusiveness, and a proactive approach above all else. Recognizing the impact of our work on our community means we ensure a people-first approach in everything we do. Through our dedication to our mission and our values of mindfulness, collaboration, integrity, confidence, trust and respect, West Campus Development Trust is adapting with the needs of the market to shape the future of the university and our city.
Reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications, you will take the lead of the Trust’s communications and stakeholder engagement activities. You will be joining the Trust at an exciting time and will have the opportunity to help the organization build and strengthen our brand reputation and corporate communications. This role encompasses a broad range of activities including; strategic media relations, public affairs, crisis communications, executive communications, stakeholder engagement, community and sponsorship involvement. To thrive in this role, you’ll need to be a values-driven individual, with a solid track record building and strengthening the image of organizations you have worked with in the past. You thrive in fast-paced environments. You have strong leadership skills, are influential and you are seeking a fulfilling career with a leader in urban development.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Lead and manage the creation of compelling, high quality corporate communications that engages both internal and external stakeholders and builds brand recognition through the development of consumer materials, social media, industry material, committee reports, board reports, community newsletter publications, press releases, product/service launches, sales material, web and social media content.
- In collaboration with the Director of Marketing & Communications develop a communications and stakeholder engagement strategy for the organization in line with annual strategic objectives.
- In collaboration with the Director, provide successful implementation of strategic initiatives to support the company’s business and growth priorities, including:
- Establishment of annual objectives of the department
- Formulation of policies for the execution of strategies
- Leading, executing and, measuring the success of tasks and operations of the Communication and Stakeholder Engagement portfolio
- Lead the development and implementation of the crisis communications strategy by directing the organization and assist senior management when required through crisis management, including crafting responses to media and being the lead in communicating issues.
- Responsible for the compilation, writing, and distribution of the annual business plan and any annual reports as required.
- Develop and nurture strategic relationships with key media and editors from print, broadcast and online outlets.
- Conduct media monitoring and compile media coverage summaries for an executive audience on a quarterly basis. Track all media requests and upcoming publication dates.
- Manage executive communications, including managing/drafting internal and external key messages, briefing documents, speeches, talking points, Q & A’s and preparing executives for events and media interviews.
- In collaboration with the Marketing & Communications team, lead in the maintenance and content oversight for the Trust’s website.
- Proactively identify potential issues facing the company and work with leadership to develop appropriate guidelines and response management for internal and external issues.
- Keeps abreast of important trends and developments that impact the company and our partners/clients. Monitors competitor communications strategies and results.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- Degree or diploma in Communications or business or a related field.
- 8-10 years’ experience in Corporate Communications and Stakeholder Engagement.
- Previous communications experience in the Land Development industry or oil sector would be considered an asset.
- Member of IABC and an Accredited Business Communicator; This is an asset but not necessary.
- Previous team leadership/management experience.
- Proven public speaking experience with a track record of success designing and delivering effective messages and presentations.
- Demonstrated media and PR relationships.
- Political acumen and respect for confidentiality and discretion.
- Promote collaboration and teamwork across organizational boundaries.
What’s important to the Trust and what kind of values do they want their employees to strive for?
We are honest, open, authentic, intentional and smart about our approach. We cultivate personal and professional growth of the team. We create momentum so that our vision will blossom outside the organization, outlive our specific project and transform the way people live.
We operate in an authentic, transparent, accessible and professional manner both internally and externally.
We are inherently tied to one another’s success. We support diversity of opinion and take our time to include these voices. Our actions are founded on mutual respect, creating an emotionally and intellectually safe environment.
We believe resilience and adaptability are essential ingredients to respond to challenges. We believe someone needs to risk going first: to speak out, try a new behaviour, raise concerns, welcome feedback. We are committed to challenging the norm through innovation and creativity.
Trust & Respect
We operate from a position of trust with our stakeholders, staff, partners and community from the onset. Respect is at the forefront of how we treat people and guides the decisions we make.
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
You have the demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively in all mediums and technologies. You have the ability to make accurate and timely decisions.
You are adept at working with different types of technology and you embrace innovation.
You have an impecable attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
You thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and can respond quickly to changing business conditions. You are nimble and effective with change.
Ability to Work in Harmony with Co-Workers
You are a collaborator with strong interpersonal and communication skills ensuring outcomes are the highest quality deliverables; you work with others effectively and promote collaboration and teamwork across organizational boundaries.
Eager and Willing to Add to Your Knowledge Base and Skills
You are a lifetime learner who loves to expand your knowledge and explore new ways of doing things. You are passionate and willing to pass it on to others.
You possess well-developed research, analytical and problem-solving skills You are creative in your strategic thinking and motivated to take on challenges with minimal direction.
If this sounds like you and you’re interested in exploring this unique opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter to the following link.
If you would like further information on this opportunity prior to submission of your resume please contact Bruce Diemert, Partner – Amrop Knightsbridge. Bruce can be reached directly by telephone at 604-282-6075 or email at email@example.com. While we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
ABOUT LEE HECHT HARRISON KNIGHTSBRIDGE
Amrop Knightsbridge is a leading executive search firm with offices across Canada and partner offices around the globe. Amrop Knightsbridge is an integral part of LHH Knightsbridge, a human capital management organization comprising teams of specialists with an integrated perspective across recruitment, leadership and organizational development, learning, and career and workforce management. Solutions are customized to fully meet client-specific needs, maximizing investments in people and achieving optimal organizational and business productivity and performance. LHH Knightsbridge has been recognized over multiple years as one of Canada’s Top 50 Best Managed Companies. Further LHH Knightsbridge information is available at www.lhhknightsbridge.com.